For now, for right now, I keep in mind the following :
-the variations on Beethoven’s Allegretto in the 7th Symphony – variations on which we worked yesterday morning at rehearsal.
– the discovery of a title I wish to read (and will, since I ordered it on coming home): Henry Bauchau’s Oedipe sur la route. A copy served to prop up the recording device on the piano. While the altos rehearsed, I read the first few pages. Decided this was a book for me.
– letters from some of the children I met in the schools last week. Two of the teachers are part of the choir group and brought the letters to rehearsal. I’ve posted them up at home as a reminder of some of the finer instincts resident in the human frame.
– “Un côté assistante sociale, un rien naïve et innocente?” (A social worker slant, a tad naïve and innocent?) – one of those passing asides in a published portrait of a political figure in a magazine article. Not so subliminal message: The world’s a tough place, Milly, what is this sentimental crap of yours – love of mankind, and all that. As if, when the sound of boots grows loud, we should say: ah, here it comes, the true nature of mankind, once again. Drop the pretense, Milly, and join the hate crusade.
– portrait of a chickadee, done by my daughter. Still in need of color washes, she says. He’s pretty cool as is
– anxieties (looming clouds of): real, only too real concerns. First round of the regional elections in France.
Voilà. Sunday, December 6th 2015 at 6:53 am local time.